|Barts Centenary Church on East King Street was originally
a Methodist church before the uniting of the Evangelical
United Brethren and the Methodist denominations. This church
on East King Street dates back to 1827 when the first Methodist
Class was held here. The members of this class were John
McIlvaine, Rachel Sweeny, Jonathan Forrest, Catherine Bishop
and Henry Beltman. Littlestown was a part of the Gettysburg
circuit, with the Rev John Bair, presiding elder; The Rev.
Samuel Clark , preacher in charge, and the Rev. George Hildt,
junior preacher. Services were held in the United
Brethren Church, until the first church building was
dedicated on Christmas Day, 1846. The Rev. Thomas McMullin
was preacher in charge and the Rev. Thomas H. Switzer, junior
preacher. A lot had been purchased by John McIlvaine's father
for $135 and was deeded to his son, who in turn deeded it
to the trustees of the church. The complete cost of the building,
including furniture, was $700. Among the list of expenses
was 1 dozen spit boxes, $2.25; 3 lard lamps, $4.00 each.
Levi Smucher was carpenter; E.Swope, the mason; E. Stonesifer,
the plasterer, and Andrew McSherry, the painter.
In April, 1876, a new church was begun on the
site of the old and in August the cornerstone was laid;
dedication day was September 2, 1877. The parsonage was
purchased in 1882. The church building was remodeled
in 1893, in 1912, and again a few years ago.