Methodist Hall - (Monthly Programs)
50 East King Street
Littlestown, PA 17340
Museum and Welcome Center
2nd Floor - Borough Building

10 South QueenStreet

Littlestown, PA 17340


Incorporated and 501c3 approved.
All donations are tax deductabile.

Littlestown was layed out by
and named for Peter Klein (Little)
A window to the past.
On-line
Resources
Local Littlestown Links:


Societies of Local History

Contact
Web-Master


LAHS History


Images and information from Littlestown Bicentennial Book and from Post Cards


History of Littlestown Alpha Fire Company

A large group of interested citizens met on Saturday, August 8, 1885, in the school building. Their purpose was to organize a fire company for the protection of property. Dr. E.K. Foreman was emporary chairman and Charles B.Barker was temporary secretary. A committee of three, Mr. Barker, Joseph E. Kearnes and D.B. Allenman was appointed to frame a series of resolutions to be presented to the Burgess and the Town Council....this was it....


" RESOLVED; That the Burgess and the Town Council are hereby requested to procure at once a good and sufficient quantity of hose, hose reel, laddeers and trucks, also fire buckets, all of which are deemed necessary for the proper equipment of said company;

BE IT ALSO RESOLVED: That the Burgess and the Town Council at their earliest convenience procure a lot and erect thereon a suitable building for the accommodation of said apparatus at aas central a point as possible."

A committee of five - C. B. Barker, James W. Ocker, L.M. Alleman, John Whaler and John A. Shorb, was appointed "to procure not less than 50, good able men to become active members of the Fire Company."

Friday, August 13, a second meeting was held - 90 signatures had been secured for membership and 65 answered the roll. These officers were elected to serve for one year:
President..............Dr. E. K. Foreman
Vice President......Joseph W. Ocker
Secretary.......................C. B. Barker
Treasurer...................John A. Shorb


When a name was selected -- "Alpha" polled 38 votes; the second closest was "Junior" with 10 votes. The engine house was built on a lot 33 ft. x 264 ft. on East King Street, purchased from Lewis Rickstine and wife, Louisa, for $700. Drawings and specifications cost $20.00. The Building itself, erected by John Eliine, cost $3000.A charter was granted on March 3, 1886. Official dedication was Nov. 18, 1886. The fire bell, atop the engine house was purchased January 3, 1887 for $98.62. The total cost upon completion was $5398.42.

The first equipment purchased was buckets, hose, a ladder and one hose reel truck for $206.50. This equipment was used until 1896, when a second hand hose carriage and second hand hose truck were purchased. This equipment remained in service until 1910.

The first motorized fire apparatus in Adams County was delivered to the Alpha Fire Company on July 17, 1913 for the cost of $2000.00. In 1919 an up-to-date pumper, an American LaFrance combination pumper and chemical engine, was purchased following a major fire in the business section of South Queen Street


In October, 1951, an addition to the building was begun.

A uniform drill team was formed on January 4, 1886. A second drill team was formed in the spring of 1938 but was disbanded during World War II. This unit was reorganized in January 1954.

In 1964 another addition was begun and completed early at a cost of $39,500.

In 1974 the fire company assumed the responsibility of providing emergency medical services to the community due to the increasing amount of calls and the decreasing amount of personnel to operate the service. Prior to this time, the service was provided by American Legion Post 321. The Legion turned the ambulance service over to the Borough of Littlestown who in turn transferred it over to the fire company. The ambulance in service at this time was a 1972 Cadillac.

In the 1991 another a large addition to the back of the building was added. In 1985 a building was erected on the site of the former tennis courts on Locust Street for use during the annual carnival.

Alpha Fire Company No. 1 Inc. continues to be an all volunteer organization. The Alpha Fire Company thanks the residents of the community for their continued support of our various fund-raising activities.











The first motorized fire apparatus in Adams County was delivered to the Alpha Fire Company on July 17, 1913 for the cost of $2000.00


 

 

 



Littlestown Area Historical Society's Programs
50 East King Street, Littlestown, PA 17340
Barts Centenary United Methodist Church's Historic Building