Parenting: The Toughest Job on Earth
collection of parenting information compiled by Mr. Tim Harrison
school counselor - Francis Scott Key:
1) Failure to be a consistent model. “Do as I say , Not as I do” attitude.
2) Failure to admit when you are wrong. “Because I am the adult , and I’m right”.
3) Failure to give honest answers to honest questions. “Because I said so, that’s why”.
4) Failure to let your teenager develop a personal identity. “You want to be what ?”
5) Failure to major on the majors and minor on the minors. “This room is a pig sty , and get a hair cut”.
6) Failure to communicate approval and acceptance. “Can’t you do anything right”.
7) Failure to approve your teenager’s friends. “Where did you find him?”
8) Failure to give your teenager the right to fail. “Don’t worry we will take care of it”.
9) Failure to discuss the uncomfortable. “Do you mind if we talk about something else”.
10) Failure to take time. “Excuse me, but I’m busy right now”.